Senior linebacker Joshua Perry (37) celebrates after defeating Virginia Tech on Sept. 7 in Blacksburg, Virginia. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

Former OSU linebacker Joshua Perry (37) celebrates after defeating Virginia Tech on Sept. 7 in Blacksburg, Virginia. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

The former Buckeye co-captain Joshua Perry was selected at No. 102 overall by the San Diego Chargers. Perry is the fourth defensive player taken out of Columbus and the second OSU senior selected in this 2016 draft class.

Perry started at inside linebacker for coach Urban Meyer for the better part of three seasons, where he twice amassed more than 100 tackles in a season — 124 in 2014 as a junior, and 105 in his senior campaign.

Known as a tenacious defender and a fierce teammate, Perry was the leader the team turned to on defense at the most crucial moments. In OSU’s double-overtime victory at Penn State in 2014, Perry played his best, picking up 18 total tackles, including 12 solo tackles. Perry’s 73 total solo tackles in his junior season are the second-most in one season by a Buckeye since 2002.

Perry posted double-digit tackles in eight games combined in 2014 and 2015, including a 15-tackle performance against Michigan State this past season. Perry was voted first-team All-Big Ten by the coaches and second-team by the media in 2015.

To accompany his force on the gridiron, Perry is regarded as a terrific teammate, evidenced by the honor of being named a Senior CLASS award finalist. Having been a starter for a year before Darron Lee arrived atop the depth chart and two years before current OSU linebacker Raekwon McMillan cracked the starting lineup, Perry was an easy pick for team captain. Much of the on-field transformation that made Lee the No. 20 overall pick in this year’s draft can be accredited to Perry. McMillan is likely to be a first-round pick in 2017, too.

The Chargers took the 6-foot-4, 254-pound, Galena, Ohio, product with the 102nd pick in this year’s draft to address a need at linebacker after allowing 362 yards per game. He joins OSU teammate Joey Bosa, who was taken by San Diego third overall in the first round. 

Perry will likely have to work into a role with his new team, but there’s no question what type of character the Chargers are receiving in Perry. Opening the 2016 season on Aug. 13 in a preseason game, Perry and his new team are scheduled to take on the Tennessee Titans at 5 p.m.