OSU sophomore Emalee Mongno (28) during a game against Hofstra on March 27 in Hempstead, N.Y. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

The No. 8 Ohio State women’s lacrosse team’s (11-2, 4-1) nine-game winning streak came to a screeching halt on Saturday as it was blown out by No. 1 Maryland (14-0, 4-0) by a margin of 15-5.

After handing the Terrapins their only loss in 2015 during Big Ten tournament, OSU was expecting a tough game. The defending national champions added another victory to their 49-game win streak at home, dating back to 2012.

Senior attacker Rainey Hodgson led the Buckeyes with two goals on the day, and senior goalkeeper Katie Frederick had seven saves with 15 goals against.

Sophomore attacker Molly Wood gave OSU an early lead, scoring an unassisted goal only 34 seconds into the first half. Senior midfielder Christine Easton followed less than five minutes later with another goal, putting the Buckeyes up 2-0. The lead didn’t last.

The Terrapins weren’t behind for long, tying it back up with 16 minutes left in the half. At halftime, Maryland led the game 7-4, and the home team laid on two more goals at the start of the second.

Senior attacker Cian Dabrowski added another Buckeye goal, the last of the game for OSU, with eight minutes left.

Up next, the Buckeyes are scheduled to travel to Rutgers on Thursday to match up against the Scarlet Knights at 7 p.m.