OSU freshman designated hitter Brad Cherry (1) swings at a pitch during a game against Kent State on April 5 in Kent, Ohio. OSU lost, 8-3. Credit: Courtesy of Matt Baker | The Kent Stater

For the second straight game, the Ohio State baseball team (19-11-1, 2-4-0) came into the ninth inning with a lead. And for the second straight game, it was unable to hold onto its advantage.

After beginning Big Ten play with a 2-1 record, the Buckeyes were swept by Maryland (18-15, 4-2) and now sit toward the bottom of the conference after losing 5-4 on Sunday in College Park, Maryland.

OSU jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after junior center fielder Troy Montgomery doubled in the top of the third inning to score senior second baseman L Grant Davis. Following a strikeout and a walk, senior third baseman Nick Sergakis singled up the middle and scored Montgomery from second.

The Terrapins would eventually add one back when senior center fielder Anthony Papio doubled to right field to score sophomore shortstop Kevin Smith.

Two innings later in the top of the seventh, the Buckeyes were tacked on two more after senior shortstop Craig Nennig laid down a squeeze bunt to score junior catcher Jalen Washington. After a walk to Montgomery, redshirt junior right fielder Jacob Bosiokovic reached base on a fielder’s choice that would score Davis from third base.

A leadoff home run in the bottom of the seventh by Smith put the Terrapins back within two runs.

The score would remain at 4-2 until the ninth inning when Maryland junior designated hitter Nick Cieri led off the inning with a walk. OSU redshirt sophomore closer Yianni Pavlopoulos surrendered a single and another walk to load the bases for the Terrapins and their center fielder Papio. Papio singled to right, scoring two and tying up the ballgame.

Following a walk, freshman catcher Dan Maynard singled to left field, scoring Smith and completing the Terrapin sweep.

OSU freshman Ryan Feltner was making a spot start for injured redshirt sophomore Adam Niemeyer, who is still dealing with a sore calf, and he pitched well for the Buckeyes. Feltner only went 4.1 innings on short rest, but he gave up just one run on two hits and a walk while striking out five.

Having now lost four consecutive games, OSU now looks ahead to a scheduled Tuesday night matchup against Morehead State (19-13) at 6:35 p.m. at Bill Davis Stadium to try to regain its winning form.