Ohio State just finished their most recent fundraising campaign, raising more than $3 billion — half a billion more than their goal and twice as much raised in a previous fundraising effort.

The But for Ohio State Campaign, which started in 2009 and ended this month, raised $3,004,563,961 from 750,000 donors, which according to a statement from the university, is “believed to be the most donors ever to a higher education campaign.”

OSU’s previous campaign, Affirm Thy Friendship, concluded in 2000 and raised $1.23 billion, an amount exceeding all gifts given to the university in the previous 123 years.

“The support of Buckeye Nation is historic,” University President Michael V. Drake said in a statement. “The generosity of our alumni and friends is changing lives and helping to elevate Ohio State as a nationally competitive flagship university. Our community and communities around the world will benefit for generations to come.”

The “But for Ohio State” name comes from L Brands CEO and former university Board of Trustees Chairman Leslie H. Wexner, who said, “But for Ohio State, I would never have been able to go to college.”

Wexner donated $100 million to start off the campaign.

A third of the $3 billion raised will go to research, according to the statement. More than $852 million will go toward faculty and academics, “including 96 endowed chairs and professorships,” according to the statement. The fundraising will also support more than 39,000 scholarships.

The statement said But for Ohio State donors would fill Ohio Stadium seven times, but donors were instead honored at a different campus landmark. A dinner was held on the Oval Thursday night to thank the donors.