OhioState_rendering_9_6_16

A rendering of The Wellington building with Target occupying part of its ground floor. Credit: Courtesy of Edwards Communities

There are eight Target stores within the I-270 highway loop, and the ninth is set to come to North High Street, across from Ohio State’s campus.

The “flexible-format” store is set to be located on the ground floor of The Wellington, Edwards Communities’ six-story, mixed-use apartment building set to span North High Street from East 16th to East 17th avenues as part of Campus Partners’ 15th and High master plan, according to a news release.

The Wellington is set to open summer 2018, with the Target to open that July.

Target is the first business announced to use the 15th and High space Edwards has slated for retail.

The flexible-format style, the first Target of its kind to be opened in Columbus, allows for smaller stores tailored to specific communities, such as the OSU campus area, the release said. The company currently operates 23 flexible-format stores.

“Growth on college campuses and in urban markets is a priority for Target,” Mark Schindele, senior vice president of properties at Target, said in the release. “We’re able to serve more guests by adding flexible-format stores near top universities across the country.”

The store will carry groceries, game-day apparel and personal health and beauty products, among other items. Along the campus-area portion of North High Street, it will compete with the likes of CVS and Kroger.