OSU sophomore forward/midfield Maddy Humphrey (23) protects the ball from California sophomore midfield/back Mara Gutierrez (24) and redshirt junior back Michaela Swensen (18) during a field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2015, at Buckeye Varsity Field. Credit: Lantern File Photo

OSU junior forward/midfield Maddy Humphrey (23) protects the ball from California sophomore midfield/back Mara Gutierrez (24) and redshirt junior back Michaela Swensen (18) during a field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2015, at Buckeye Varsity Field. Credit: Lantern File Photo

The Ohio State field hockey (1-3) team dominated the Bobcats (1-3) on Sunday afternoon, resulting in a 3-0 victory at Buckeye Field.

Freshman midfielder Esther Clotet Alsina helped put the team in a favorable position early on in the game. In the 21st minute, she was able to slide the ball past OU goalie Lina Trucco for the lead. This set the tone for the first half as the Buckeyes were presented with multiple scoring opportunities, including four penalty corners and nine total shots.

Junior midfielder Maddy Humphrey helped seal the deal for OSU with two goals of her own. Humphrey concluded the first half with a penalty stroke that doubled the lead for the Buckeyes with only 32 seconds to go.

“That was huge,” Wilkinson said. “OU is a lethal team and even being up by two goals, you never really feel comfortable. We continued to attack in the second half and do the things that got us the lead in the first place”.

As the second half commenced, there was a lot of back and forth between the Buckeye offense and Bobcat defense. OSU accumulated seven penalty corners during the second half but were denied each time. However, the Buckeyes persisted and achieved a second goal from Humphrey; this time with an assist from redshirt junior midfielder Maggie Reddecliff.

Humphrey now has at least one goal in every game this season (five goals, one assist).

Junior goalkeeper Liz Tamburro, junior back Caroline Rath, freshman back Maartje Bongers, and junior back Carolina Vergroesen held Ohio University to only five total shots. The Buckeyes surrendered the least amount of shots since their 2015 season opener against Saint Louis. Tamburro earned her fourth career shutout.

Ohio State will conclude the Buckeye Invitational this Wednesday, September 7th at 3 pm against UC Davis.