The Ohio State University Marching Band performs during a game against Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma. OSU won 45-24. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

In what coach Urban Meyer called a “coming-of-age” game, Ohio State’s youth showcased its talent in the national spotlight as the Buckeyes dominated the Oklahoma Sooners in front of a school-record crowd of 87,979 fans.

The game started rough for the Buckeyes as Oklahoma drove easily down the field.  However, the defense stopped the Sooners for three straight plays in the red zone with Oklahoma ultimately deciding to settle for a 27-yard field goal.  After the short kick smacked against the goal post and the Sooners missed out on an easy 3 points, the Buckeyes took control and never looked back.

After back-to-back three-and-outs for the two teams, Barrett and the offense started with good field position on the Oklahoma 45.  On a fourth-and-one, junior H-back Curtis Samuel broke free for a 36-yard touchdown run.  Oklahoma tried to respond, but sophomore linebacker Jerome Baker intercepted Baker Mayfield and ran 68 yards for the Buckeyes second touchdown of the night.  Oklahoma redshirt sophomore Joe Mixon returned the kickoff for a touchdown to make it 14-7, but that was as close as the Sooners got for the rest of the game.

The Buckeye defense looked superb in Norman, Oklahoma, intercepting Mayfield twice increasing the team season total to a stunning nine interceptions, with four being returned for touchdowns, through three games.

Redshirt sophomore Noah Brown, after missing last season with a broken leg, stepped into the spotlight as J.T. Barrett’s go-to receiver, hauling in four touchdown receptions against the Sooners.  Redshirt freshman running back Mike Weber had another solid performance for the Buckeyes as he added 123 yards on 18 carries to lead the rushing attack.

After the impressive win, OSU takes a week off before opening Big Ten play against Rutgers for Homecoming on Oct. 1.

By The Numbers:

4: Noah Brown tied an OSU record with four touchdown receptions against the Sooners, including a highlight reel catch on the back of defender Michiah Quick.

3-0: In the third meeting all time between the college football powerhouses, the away team came out with the win for a third consecutive time.  Oklahoma travels to OSU next year.

19: OSU has now won 19 straight true road games (including five straight against ranked opponents), which is the second longest streak in the FBS over the last 25 years.  This will be put to the test when the Buckeyes visit Wisconsin and Michigan State later this season.

35: The Buckeyes put up 35 points in the first half against Oklahoma, which was the most points given up in the first half by the home team throughout history.

55: With four touchdown passes in the game, Barrett now has 55 career touchdown passes, passing Braxton Miller and Troy Smith for the third most in school history.

3: Barrett is now three touchdown passes away from becoming the all-time leader in career touchdown passes.  The current record is 57 by Bobby Hoying.