OSU redshirt junior cornerback Gareon Conley (8) and OSU redshirt sophomore cornerback Marshon Lattimore (2) celebrate Conley's first half interception during the Buckeyes game against the Badgers on Oct. 15. The Buckeyes won 30-23 in overtime. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

OSU redshirt junior cornerback Gareon Conley (8) and OSU redshirt sophomore cornerback Marshon Lattimore (2) celebrate Conley’s first half interception during the Buckeyes game against the Badgers on Oct. 15. The Buckeyes won 30-23 in overtime. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Then-No. 8 Wisconsin gave the No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes their hardest test of the season on Saturday, leading by 10 at half and by three late in the fourth quarter before OSU came out victorious in overtime, 30-23.

The two teams met for the first matchup since OSU demolished the Badgers 59-0 in the 2014 Big Ten Championship Game. The Badgers defense diminished OSU’s hurry-up offense in the first half, while Wisconsin’s power running game rolled through the Buckeyes’ normally dominant defense.  Wisconsin took a 16-6 lead going into halftime, putting the second-ranked Buckeyes in unfamiliar territory.

The Badgers have played OSU tough in Madison in past years, even upsetting a top-ranked OSU in 2010, and falling in overtime to a sixth-ranked Buckeyes team in 2012. Wisconsin had all the momentum as the second half kicked off.  However, OSU coach Urban Meyer had some key defensive adjustments, and held the Badgers to a measly 11 offensive yards in the third quarter as the Buckeyes scored twice to take the lead 20-16.  The Badgers, then, moved the ball quickly down the field as they retook the lead, 23-20 in the fourth quarter. OSU senior kicker Tyler Durbin hit a field goal with 3:57 left in the quarter to tie the game at 23, which was enough to send the game into overtime for the second meeting in a row between these two teams in Madison.

OSU redshirt junior quarterback J.T. Barrett, who struggled for most of the first half, went 4-for-4 with the game-winning touchdown pass to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Noah Brown in overtime.  The Buckeye defense then held Wisconsin on its possession holding out for the 30-23 win over the Badgers.  For the game, Barrett had 226 yards passing on 17-of-29 attempts with a touchdown and an interception and added 92 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.  Wisconsin senior running back Corey Clement had a career game for the Badgers, gaining 164 rushing yards on 25 carries. Redshirt freshmen quarterback Alex Hornibrook added 214 yards on 16-of-28 attempts with a touchdown and an interception.

By The Numbers

3-3: In the Buckeyes last six trips to Madison, they have won only three times, including two overtime wins.  The Badgers knocked off a No. 1, No. 3 and 18th-ranked OSU team in their three wins.

89: Barrett scored his 89th career touchdown in overtime, setting the school record for most touchdowns accounted for.  The previous record was held by Braxton Miller, with 88.

0: The Badgers’ defense have not allowed a touchdown in the first quarter through six games.

6: The Badgers held OSU to only 6 points in the first half, which was the fewest points scored by Ohio State in the first half since Meyer joined the program in 2012.