Rio Hairston models Tacoma fashion. Credit: Courtesy of Tackma

Local brand Tackma, an acronym for “they all can kiss my ass,” strives to design and distribute clothing with an attitude. Tackma was founded by Jeffrey Schottenstein, an OSU alumnus, who came up with the acronym and put in on a pair of customized Nike shoes in 2011.

The brand filled only custom orders until 2013, when it partnered with Artisan De Lux at 761 N. High, selling some items in the storefront. Six months ago, Tackma opened its own storefront in the Short North.

Brand representative Mario Hairston and director of operations Jason Monus have been working to instill attitude into each article of clothing.

“Our brand is based off of expressing yourself, doing things your own way and if they don’t like it, well, Tackma,” Hairston said.

In the last year, the brand has garnered publicity from celebrities including Future, LeBron James and Chris Paul. The brand also made clothes for Drake on his Summer Sixteen Tour.

“The whole brand is excited that people are catching on to the brand and enjoying it,” Hairston said. “These people are taking to the brand on their own which is where the real joy comes from.”

“This is a brand for the underdog. Our goal is to have our footprint across the U.S. and in more stores around the world. We need our message out there.” — Jason Monus, director of operations for Tackma

Hariston said Tackma makes clothes for those that want to be a part of their movement of self expression, not a specific criteria of people.

“The brand is designed to be for everybody,” he said. “When it comes to style, some things might appeal more to some, but we really try to make things everyone can enjoy.”

Tackma takes pride in using top quality materials for its brand, down to the zippers and buttons, Hairston said. A T-shirt costs $40, while hats are $65 on average.

“We have a whole design team that makes sure everything is premium quality,” he said. “We have a multitude of just hats designed with satin, suede and leather materials.”

Since Tackma is a Columbus-based brand, in-store-only exclusive designs drop regularly.

Rapper Future wears Tackma fashions. Credit: Courtesy of Tackma

Along with the occasional impromptu release, Tackma releases collections seasonally. The fall collection was just recently released.

Monus said that because Schottenstein is an alum and his family is connected to the university, the brand likes to cater to OSU students. By presenting their BuckIDs, students can receive a 15 percent discount.

“We’re right down the street,” Monus said. “He definitely pays homage to where he’s from and embraces Columbus.”

Growing is the ultimate goal of the brand, Monus said.

“This is a brand for the underdog.” Monus said. “Our goal is to have our footprint across the U.S. and in more stores around the world. We need our message out there.”

Tackma is located at 844 N. High St.