OSU sophomore midfielder Abdi Mohamed dribbles the ball against UC Santa Barbara at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Ohio State Athletics

The Ohio State men’s soccer team knew it was heading into its toughest match of the season. As OSU stepped onto the field at College Park, a place where coach John Bluem team has never recorded a win, the Buckeyes looked to hand Maryland its first loss of the season.  

The Terrapins would prove to be too much to handle, as they would go on to defeat the Buckeyes 2-0 on Friday night, handing OSU its fourth straight loss.

Maryland attacked early and often in the first period and was quickly rewarded for its efforts.

In the 13th minute, sophomore forward Gordon Wild netted his Big Ten-leading 10th goal of the season to put the Terps ahead 1-0.

Moments later, in the 19th minute, sophomore forward Sebastian Elney was able to find the back of the net from 15 yards out to extend the Terrapins lead to 2-0.

The two goals would be more than enough for Maryland, holding the Buckeyes scoreless through 90 minutes.  

OSU has not been able to get on the scoreboard in its last two games, being held without a goal for the last 243 minutes. The last time OSU found the back of the net was in the 27th minute against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville on Sept. 28.

A big reason for the Buckeyes’ loss was a very poor first period, in which they were outshot 11-2. They were able to outshoot Maryland 7-5 in the second period, but by that time the Terrapins had taken their foot off the gas and protected their lead.

Despite the loss, redshirt freshman goalkeeper Parker Siegfried had a solid night in net. Siegfried made six saves, giving him a total of 37 on the year through 12 games.

With the loss, the Scarlet and Gray fall to 3-9 on the season, with a 2-3 record in conference. The team will now return to Columbus, where they begin a two-game home stand with matches against Oakland and Indiana.