Home » Campus » Students, staff and faculty to write Love Notes to “Dreamers” Friday

Students, staff and faculty to write Love Notes to “Dreamers” Friday

A coalition of Ohio State students, faculty and staff is hosting Love Notes for Dreamers, an event for students to support those enrolled in Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. across campus.

The Trump administration announced earlier this month it would terminate the Obama-era program, which provides certain legal protections for children brought by their parents illegally to the United States. Those protections are set to expire in March, unless a legislative solution is implemented, which President Trump recently signaled support for.

Pamela Espinosa de los Monteros, a resident librarian of Latin American Studies, said she was inspired by a statement from University President Michael Drake the day the Trump administration announced its intention to end DACA.

She said, like Drake, she wanted to also show support for DACA students — while protecting their anonymity — which led to the event’s creation.

Students can write notes at the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Thompson Library, the Multicultural Center, and the South Oval.

The notes will be displayed on the South Oval and then in the Ohio Union for the rest of Latinx Heritage Month, which begins Friday and runs to Oct. 15.

Love notes for Dreamers is an event to show DACA students support throughout the campus community. Credit: Ashley Diggins | for The Lantern

Students wrote notes earlier this week, as well. Jorge Carrillo, a fourth-year in city and regional planning, said he wrote, “Dream on.”

“I’m a son of Mexican immigrants myself,” Carrillo said. “I was fortunate enough to be born in the U.S. I had my citizenship as a child and I grew up with a lot of DACA recipients. It’s not fair for them to go back to a country they’ve never known. Their families came [here] for better opportunities.”

Megan Hasting, the assistant director for Ohio State’s Center of Latin American Studies, said she previously worked on a similar project with the Office of International Affairs to support international students.

“It was very successful the first time, after the immigration ban, to show international students they were supported on campus, so we thought it would be a good tool for DACA students too,” she said.

Espinosa de los Monteros said she hopes the love notes provide a way to channel positive messages in a negative political climate.

“I am hopeful that students will feel supported and see all the allies they have on campus,” she said.

Haley Ciupa, a third-year in marketing, said Wednesday she wrote, “This is your home and no one should be forced to leave their home. I will fight for ‘Dreamers’ because they are just as deserving as anyone here on American soil to pursue their goals.”

She said the note was a way to show support for DACA students, who she said might be very scared.

“There’s not a whole lot I can do to change our idiot president’s ways but I want to make [DACA students] feel better,” Ciupa said.

1. If your here illegal, apply for citizenship or leave. How many years have they had to apply. Now cry boo hoo. Drake should worry more about lowering costs for Ohio residents to attend OSU than illegals.

• Boy if this is not right on. Get a grip! Colleges are full of none doers, both academically and student body wise. They cry and whine but really do little in the real words outside of their protected environments. Most of these kids will have a whole new view hopefully when they have to produce without mommy and daddy and the liberal college base brainwashing them on the world they know little about outside of their protected bubble. I own many business, graduated from OSU, but it sickens me how it has become a liberal biased tank of protesters. Most of the faculty has never worked in the real word a day of their lives.

2. Why glorify and reward the fact that for years they and their parents have been breaking our laws?

• That’s exactly the point. Their PARENTS made an illegal decision It wasn’t the child’s decision, not their fault. Do you punish children if their parents were jailed because they killed someone? No. That doesn’t make any sense.

• Do we reward the children for the crimes their parents committed? No. That doesn’t make any sense.

• Do we reward the children for not making an effort for years to obtain citizenship? This isn’t just the parent’s fault, the children share an equal responsibility by the time they graduate from high school they have continued to break the law. This shows a lack of commitment by the children and one must question their desire to assimilate.

3. The law is the law. Clearly OSU professors and administration have drunk the koolade. Real world is different and graduates that have been “protected” will learn the cruel reality of the work world. Extremely disappointing.

4. What I find most interesting is the all out BLITZ by the Democrats, MSM, every faculty member at any university in the country are fighting to the death for illegal aliens. You’d think one in four Americans unemployed would motivate them. Nope.

There is an estimated 800,000 DACA recipients in the US. That is 800,000 jobs American Citizens don’t have.

The MSM and Democrats would have you believe that all 800 thousand are not taking jobs Americans want (we’ve heard that speech for many years). This is another falsehood told to the American people (like their just ‘Kids”).They’re not all picking strawberries they take good Jobs. Good enough jobs to buy homes,put their kids through college Why must the citizens have competition for jobs, education in their own country from foreign nationals?

Now Democrats and illegal alien activists admit DACA recipients have good jobs,are buying homes, paying taxes, etc. The GOAL (Democrats just haven’t figured this out yet) is for the American citizens to be employed, trained, sending their kids to college,buying homes and paying taxes. It’s not the responsibility of the citizens of this country to support, educate citizens from other country’s. There is also the public safety concerns with illegal aliens including DACA recipients. The bottom line is there should be ZERO illegal aliens in our country. Deportation will save jobs and decrease the expense of illegal aliens.

* The cost of educating illegal aliens children is staggering. From K-12 it costs taxpayers $122,000 for EACH illegal alien. That is not even counting the FREE school lunches every day for 13 years.

*2012 illegal aliens sent home $62 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. This is why Mexico is getting involved in our politics.

*30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens. Does not include local jails and State Prisons. At 21,000 per
    year expense per inmate in Federal Prison—do the math.

* Using the Obama created program- DACA, 800,000 illegal aliens has funneled 800 THOUSAND jobs away from American Citizens.

*$17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.

*$3Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens, I repeat 3 MILLION a DAY to process Illegals in the Criminal justice system.

*$2.2Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as SNAP (food stamps),WIC, & free school lunches for illegal aliens.

5. Is DACA contingent on supporting our laws and deporting their parents or was it Obama’s backdoor of letting illegal invaders stay too.

6. “There’s not a whole lot I can do to change our idiot president’s ways but I want to make [DACA students] feel better,” Ciupa said.

THIS is the absurd mindset of president Drake, his administration, most of the faculty and far to many students! Denouncing the president of the united States for obeying our constitution and enforcing our laws, motivated by what? Wanting to make those illegally within our national borders … “feel better.”

I watched [as an OSU Staff member] for 30 years as the university moved farther & farther away from pursuit of Truth and educating “how to think logically & rationally,” and instead toward indoctrination of leftist thought & ideology. Onr wonders if the current Dean of OSU’s Law school may still explain to the OSU community the illegal status of these so-called “dreamers.” Maybe then they could ALL refresh their memories pertaining to a Real “dreamer,” Martin Luther King and his “I have a dream” speech. “Content of character, not color of their skin.”

The people of Ohio need to Wake Up before it is to late. Ohio has been losing population for decades just as Michigan & Detroit did. Leftist ideology & policies that violate our written constitutions in order to “make some feel better” are destroying our people. Return to the founding principles & values upon which our nation was founded [NO, I don’t mean slavery].

Let those in our borders illegally either self-deport, or when they bump up against law enforcement, let’s help them feel better in their home countries.

7. Prior to the availing of the loans, if you do make a comprehensive study of the loan market, you will come across lenders offering the funds against suitable terms. Learn more at https://www.loanme.cc