Sophomore defensive lineman Nick Bosa (97) lines up prior to a play during the Ohio State- Oklahoma game on Sep. 9. OSU lost 31-16. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State sophomore defensive end Nick Bosa was named a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award, given to the defensive player of the year, the Maxwell Football Club announced Monday afternoon.

Bosa ranks second in the Big Ten with 10 tackles for loss, which leads the team. He also has racked up a team-high four sacks.

Bosa was named a co-defensive player of the game by Ohio State’s coaching staff for his performance in the Buckeyes’ 39-38 win against Penn State Saturday. Bosa only had one tackle versus the Nittany Lions, but head coach Urban Meyer said during Monday’s press conference the defensive end also had seven quarterback pressures.

Ohio State’s defensive front, which includes Bosa, held Penn State running back and Heisman Trophy candidate Saquon Barkley to 44 yards on 21 carries, including a 36-yard carry that accounted for the bulk of his production.

In the offseason, defensive ends Bosa and Tyquan Lewis, cornerback Denzel Ward and linebacker Jerome Baker were named to the Bednarik Award watch list.

Bosa will be back in action at 3:30 p.m. Saturday when the Buckeyes head to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the Hawkeyes.