Home » Campus » Ohio State to demolish Adriatico’s, University Flower Shop, build office space

Ohio State to demolish Adriatico’s, University Flower Shop, build office space

Ohio State announced another demolition project for campus. On-campus businesses Adriatico’s and the University Flower Shop are set to close in September. Credit: Owen Daugherty | Assistant Campus Editor

Ohio State announced yet another demolition project for campus, this time targeting on-campus businesses Adriatico’s and the University Flower Shop.  

The university announced plans on Tuesday to build an office for an optometry clinic and health science faculty located at 11th and Neil avenues. If approved, the construction of the project would demolish Adriatico’s, a popular campus pizza shop, University Flower Shop and Huntington Bank starting September 2018.

The total cost of the 93,000 square-foot office is $28 million. According to Board of Trustees documents, its funding comes from university and auxiliary funds.

University Flower Shop and Adriatico’s have long been part of campus. The flower shop has been on campus since 1932. Adriatico’s has been on campus for about thirty years.

“We kind of knew this day was coming,” said Rick Spangle, the husband of Christine Spangle, who owns University Flower Shop. “We thought it was going to be a few more years, but you never know.”

Spangle said Ohio State bought each property about 25 years ago.

Spangle said the flower shop and Adriatico’s were notified a few months ago of the university’s plans to demolish. He said each business is working to relocate somewhere more centrally located, but still near medical campus.

“We view ourselves as part of the fabric of the university,” said Greg Fortney, Adriatico’s owner. “We have every intention to continue being part of that fabric.”

Fortney said Adriatico’s current location feels like home. After the demolition, he said he hopes the new location is “as close to our home as possible.”

Spangle said the plan is for the flower shop to move into a new location — which he hopes is next to Adriatico’s new spot — the day the 11th and Neil demolition begins.

“We’re sad to see a tradition like we’ve had for such a long time end,” Spangle said. “But, [the university] has to have space to be able to attract talent. I don’t think the university looks at themselves competing with other state colleges. They look to themselves as an international talent competing across the globe.”

Details of new locations for the businesses aren’t known yet, as the 11th and Neil project is subject to the Board of Trustees’ approval this week.

“I’ve been here 30-some years and we’ve become very fond of this area and this location,” Fortney said. “It’s not something you ever want to face.”

“It’s hard, right? You see all of the old stuff go down,” Spangle said. “You know that some day when you’re in a building like you’re in, it’s coming down.

1. OSU: kicking out small owners who’ve been successful for decades one at a time, to be replaced by exorbitantly priced retail and office space and a wall of Olive Gardens. Feel so fortunate to have graduated when I did.

2. These businesses sold their buildings to the OSU 25 years ago. FYI – Owners pretty much get to do what they want to with the space. If either business wanted to maintain control, they should have held on to their ownership. And it’s not like either one is getting kicked to the curb – they’re getting almost two years notice.

PS – I don’t see anyone weeping over Huntington Bank losing their space.

3. If both businesses get a chance to reestablish somewhere else, there isn’t much harm here. As an alum, I am all the way in favor of the development projects as a means to attract more students and increase applications. This is the new arms race in college admissions: nicer buildings, shinier toys, fancier amenities. In five years, High Street will look completely different than it did when I was at OSU, and I’m fine with that. OSU’s neighborhood shouldn’t be a dive.

• Broke paying student loans

…and higher tuition

• ….except that our taxes pay the bulk of your education….same as it ever was….

your tuition only covers a small part of the university…

• Actually, state funding for OSU is so low that many have challenged whether to even consider Ohio State a land-grant still. This is how Gee successfully argued to make Ohio State’s admission standards similar to that of private institutions…we really don’t receive money from the state at all – esp. from taxes. This is also why you got that alum survey the other day basically asking if you would champion more state funding to the University :/

4. Adriatico’s is an awesome business with legendary food. Any sensible place would be trying to recruit these kinds of businesses to the campus area. It’s not right to just leave their future to chance. Great businesses do not grow on trees. Why not make the new office building mixed use and leave some room on the street level for the pizza place and the flower shop??!!

5. Clash City Rocker

It’s sad to see such an integral part of Ohio State culture being demolished for faceless generic offices run by people who are machine-like who only care about getting your money. I’m glad II graduated when I did as well. All the fun and pleasure and thrill of campus life is getting destroyed and replaced by glass, concrete and steel – with no soul at all. At least there’s still the Newport – until some greedy yuppie scum decides to STEAL it away too.

• You know, this being a relatively free country, you and some of your buddies, could buy ANY of the historic, in your eyes, and let them run as long as you want……

6. Spangle sounds like a dick.

7. Why doesn’t OSU instead shut shop of its loss-making colleges like social work or ecology. Rather than helping spur and thrive business, it strives to get rid of them and instead maintain numerous ghost buildings devoted to these obsolete careers on taxpayer money. Shame on the evil nexus of ohio state official, board of trustees and ohio lawmakers!

8. I wonder what the access to the 11th Avenue Garage will be once demolition and construction begin. Currently there are a number of people accessing from Neil Avenue. Hopefully they can widen the alley on the East side of the garage to allow an improved traffic flow.