Home » Campus » President Drake signs letter urging Congress to permanently protect DACA recipients

President Drake signs letter urging Congress to permanently protect DACA recipients

Ohio State University President Michael Drake joined nearly 800 other university presidents Thursday in signing a letter to Congress urging it to take action and permanently protect students enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

The letter was addressed to the majority and minority leaders in both the House and Senate and called on legislators to “take the action that President [Donald] Trump requested when he rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy.”

DACA is an Obama era policy which protects undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States as children with their parents from deportation.

“Colleges and universities have seen these remarkable people up close, in our classrooms and as our colleagues and friends,” the letter said. “Despite the challenges they face, they have made incredible contributions to our country and its economy and security. They should continue to be able to do so.”

When President Trump rescinded DACA he called on legislators to take action to protect “Dreamersand this letter intends to push Congress to do so.

Signing this letter falls in line with previous public statements made by Drake in support of protecting “Dreamers at Ohio State and across the country.

1. At the point when universities don’t monitor the quantity of DACAs, foundations dupe data that could help in deciding. DACA was a program for conceded extradition of displaced people with the greater part of them from ages 21-35. They were gotten by their displaced person guardians to go to class here and sidestep the movement laws. DACA finished Sept. 5. The conceded expelling time has finished. The daily papers are concentrating on the more modest number of DACAs that intend to attend a university as a purpose behind absolution for all DACAs, their families, and other illicit outsiders in the US.
    https://sovinco.com/

2. Ohio State, being a public institution, should not be treating DACA as Ohio Residents and definitely should not give them the financial benefits that legal taxpaying Ohio Residents are entitled to. How does President Drake justify giving those benefits to residents of another country, but not to residents of another state? He should have to answer to us. Ohio State should treat all foreign students the same and require all non-citizens or non-permanent residents to obtain a student visa.