A cactus cake from The Angry Baker. Credit: Courtesy of The Angry Baker

Local bakery and pastry shop The Angry Baker recently opened its third location on High Street in the Short North.

In addition to its university district restaurant on King Avenue and flagship location in Olde Towne East, The Angry Baker’s newest location was designed to keep up with the expanding business.

As the business has grown over the years, owner Victoria Hink said she decided it was time to have a location designated for wholesale. Although you can still walk in for a treat at the new location, there is no seating area.

Erin Hall has worked as a bakery manager at The Angry Baker’s other locations and teamed up with Hink as co-owner of the new shop, an easy decision for Hink to make.

“Erin has been the bakery manager for a long time and has been running that side of the business on her own,” she said. “So, it just made sense to partner with her on opening the retail bakery.”

Hall said the Short North was a great next step for The Angry Baker’s expansion, though the space itself was the pair’s deciding factor.  

“We have a great amount of walking traffic being on High Street with some great neighborhoods and apartments in the area as well,” Hall said. “We are also fortunate to be around a ton of great businesses and of course the Short North gallery scene. We even stay open late for the monthly gallery hops.”

Elaina’s Specialty Cakes was previously in The Angry Baker’s current location, which eased the transition into the new space.

The Short North location’s menu is similar to other locations but Hall ran through some noteworthy items to check out, including favorites like croissants, cookies, donuts and brownies. Hall said the bakery prides itself on having an option for every visitor, including vegan and gluten-free options.

“People who visit our bakery can expect to find a little bit of everything,” she said.

Over time, the new location will also add in sugar-free items, as well as some bakery-centered lunch options.

The Angry Baker’s Short North location is open from Tuesday to Sunday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.