Home » Campus » Brian Golsby’s attorneys ask to delay trial

Brian Golsby’s attorneys ask to delay trial

Lawyers for Brian Golsby, the man charged with the rape, kidnapping and murder of Ohio State student Reagan Tokes, have asked a judge to put his trial on hold.

The motion was filed Wednesday and asked the judge to pause the trial pending the resolution of House Bill 389, a bill which seeks to abolish the death penalty in Ohio.

The statement said if the bill passes there would “no longer be a possibility of a sentencing phase at trial.”

“The time and costs of preparing for trial, impaneling a jury, trying the case and the years of appeals will largely be avoided if the bill passes,” Golsby’s attorneys said in the motion.

This request comes on the back of a motion filed by Golsby’s defense team Oct. 31, asking the judge to take the death penalty out of consideration, claiming Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien’s office’s has a track record of seeking capital punishment against African-Americans.

From 2005 to 2017 there have been 25 indictments involving the death penalty in Franklin County. Sixteen of the 25 defendants were African-American.

Golsby’s attorneys are also asking that any GPS data from his ankle monitor be excluded from evidence because they believe the way it was obtained violated the 4th Amendment; it was not collected via subpoena.

O’Brien’s office has yet to respond to The Lantern’s request for comment.