Home » Campus » FBI: Ohio State attacker not directed by terrorist organization

FBI: Ohio State attacker not directed by terrorist organization

Law-enforcement officials gather near Watts Hall and the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry building on North Campus on Nov. 28 2016. Credit: Courtesy of Ohio State

Despite harboring extremist ideology, the perpetrator of the Ohio State car-and-knife attack on campus Nov. 28, 2016, was not directed by a terrorist organization, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced Tuesday.

The FBI’s announcement comes on the one-year anniversary of the attack. Thirteen people were injured after Abdul Razak Ali Artan drove his car into a crowd of people, got out and pursued the bystanders, slashing at them with a butcher knife before a University Police officer shot and killed him.

The investigation, which the FBI said is now officially closed, found Artan acted alone without any direction from a terrorist organization. However, the bureau concluded Artan was influenced by Islamic State propaganda.

Prior to releasing its statement, the FBI met with victims to brief them on the findings.

The FBI said it doesn’t expect to release any additional updates on its investigation.

1. Misleading headline. Clever, but intentionally misleading, nonetheless.

One would hope that journalism students and their editors, even excepting for their collective lack of aptitude, know quite well that, to the casual reader, this headline connotes that the attacker was not a terrorist. He was, objectively, a terrorist. The polar opposite of the headline.

Or, translated for the anti-reason, mostly-millennials crowd: “I see what you did there”.

• John Galt, Do you mean misleading in the way there were “fine people” among the Charlottesville Nazi “paraders?” With your journalism degree one would hope that, accepting your lack of aptitude, you would know that attacker is not the polar opposite of terrorist as you suggest and neither the article nor headline implies. The Las Vegas shooter was obviously a better person because he was an attacker and not a terrorist. Polar opposites.
      I see what you are trying to do.