Home » Sports » Football » Football: Ohio State defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones ejected from Michigan State game for targeting

Football: Ohio State defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones ejected from Michigan State game for targeting

Ohio State redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones patrols the sideline prior to the Buckeyes’ 62-14 win against Maryland on Oct. 7. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones was ejected for targeting with three minutes remaining in the second quarter due to a helmet-to-helmet hit on quarterback Brian Lewerke of the Buckeyes’ game against Michigan State Saturday afternoon.

The penalty negated an interception from redshirt sophomore cornerback Damon Arnette. Jones finished the game with one solo tackle.

Since he committed the penalty in the first half, Jones will miss the remainder of the game against the Spartans, but will be eligible to play the entire game next Saturday against Illinois.

Jones is the second starting defensive lineman to be ejected for targeting in as many weeks. Sophomore defensive end Nick Bosa was flagged for roughing the passer and ejected for targeting from last week’s game against Iowa in the second quarter.

One comment

1. Who makes these rules? So in the first half you can go helmet to helmet or clobber an opponet hard and get unnecessary roughness and your punishment is you get ejected. But in the second half you have to be on your best behavior so you dont get ejected and then also have to sit out playing a game the following week? Whats makes the difference if its first or second half, the punishment should be the same. This rule concerns the fact that injuries are involved, i guess they dont see it that way fully.