Screenwriter and director of Michigan’s screenwriting program Jim Burnstein will discuss his work and experiences with students on Friday. | Credit: Courtesy of Jim Burnstein

Ohio State will welcome screenwriter Jim Burnstein, director of the University of Michigan’s screenwriting program, on Friday as part of the 2017 Leventhal Artist Program.

Burnstein has had a series of screenwriting workshops throughout the week. His event Friday will discuss the processes of screenwriting and the screenwriting industry.

Burnstein will also be taking part in the 2017 Columbus Jewish Film Festival, which runs through Nov. 20.

Burnstein graduated from Michigan with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English and went on to write the screenplay for “Renaissance Man” starring Danny DeVito. His other contributions include “D3: The Mighty Ducks,” “Love and Honor” and more than 15 other films. His work became a major hit in Hollywood and, after his success, he returned to Michigan to begin a screenwriting program.

Friday’s event will begin with a presentation by Burnstein in the Senate Chamber Room at the Ohio Union 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students are then invited to join Andrew Rose’s Screenwriting and the Business of Television classes in the showing of a number of short films created by Burnstein’s students.

The film showings also will include a discussion of the screenwriting process and the professional aspects of the industry.

Throughout the discussion, Rose, a senior lecturer in film studies, said Burnstein will talk about his own experiences and screenwriting in the movie business. Burnstein will also be able to answer audience questions about writing.

“You get to talk to [Burnstein] one on one and let him hear your ideas,” Rose said. “He’ll give you some thoughts on how to develop that idea and maybe some foreseeable problems with the pitch.”

Rose said the presentation is open to anyone in the Columbus area, not just students.

If you are interested in how film works or how you might start writing your own script, this would be a good first step into learning more about the field,” said Matt Swift, program coordinator for film studies.

Burnstein will conclude his tour of Columbus with a happy hour and pitch session Friday afternoon at 4:30 at the McConnell Arts Center in Worthington. Participants will be given the chance to pitch a few lines from their own screenplay ideas to a professional critic and receive feedback on their work.

Burnstein will also discuss how to write a successful screenplay.
Tickets are $10 for students and $25 for the general public and and can be ordered online at http://www.mcconnellarts.org/film-pitch-session-jim-burnstein/

This story was updated to correct a misspelling of Jim Burnstein’s name.