The Short North neighborhood will get a festive makeover for its December Gallery Hop Saturday to celebrate the fast-approaching holiday season.

Duff Lindsay, owner of the Lindsay Gallery in the Short North, said the “Holiday Hop” is special every year because it draws people to galleries that normally might not be interested.

“People who are out to shop and enjoying the atmosphere might not love art galleries, or maybe have never even set foot in an art gallery in their lives,” she said. “This hop gives these people a chance to wander in a very unintimidating way to a gallery and get a glimpse of what we do.”

The Short North gateway at the start of the holiday season. “(Short) North Pole.” Wednesday, Nov 30, 2017. Credit: Megan Russell | For the Lantern

Lindsay explained that the celebratory and cheery nature of the hop gets people more in the holiday spirit to try something new and take in the art work at the galleries.

Although every Gallery Hop seems to draw a large crowd, the annual “Holiday Hop” is usually the most attended of the year, Lindsay said. Beyond just the galleries and decorations, there will be some fun festivities centered around the holiday theme.

When Haley Kedziora, gallery director at ROY G BIV, was discussing the hop, she mentioned that this time of year is a time for inclusivity and interest in the art community.

“The Holiday Hop is more festive [than the other hops] and is a good time for people to be involved in the community, see art and support local businesses.”, she said.

In addition to the art galleries and small businesses that will be partaking in the hop, the Holiday Headquarters Pop Up Shop at 873 N. High St. will be open from noon until 8:00 p.m. Saturday.

The “Holiday Hop” will start at 4 p.m. with events and activities happening throughout the evening. Admission is free.