Former OSU cornerback Eli Apple (13) waits for the ball to be snapped during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15, 2014 in Minneapolis. Credit: Lantern file photo

DALLAS — The New York Giants suspended former Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple for their final game of the season, the team announced Wednesday. The cause of the suspension was “for a pattern of behavior that is conduct detrimental to the team,” interim general manager Kevin Abrams said.

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer said during a press conference Thursday Apple had “zero issues” while he was with the Buckeyes.

“Eli was fantastic for us, a team player and always put team before self and became one of the best corners in college football,” Meyer said. “As soon as this game is over, I’m going to try to get in the middle of that one and find out because of our love we have for Eli. I know our players have talked to him a little bit.”

During a radio interview on ESPN New York on Tuesday, Giants safety Landon Collins called Apple a “cancer” on the team amid reports Apple has fought with coaches throughout the season. Collins apologized Wednesday.

Apple, the former 10th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, will finish the season with 49 combined tackles — 41 solo and eight assisted — with eight passes defended and two fumbles recovered.

Former Ohio State and current Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott also faced a suspension this season for repeated rules violations including allegedly using force against his girlfriend. Meyer said he expects Elliott will be at the Cotton Bowl Friday and on the field with the Buckeyes before the game.