The Ohio State Omicron fraternity chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Tau Kappa Epsilon is appealing the three-year suspension handed down by Ohio State, a spokesman for the fraternity told The Lantern Tuesday.

The suspension comes after an investigation found the fraternity was guilty of violating the hazing, alcohol and endangering behavior sections of the Code of Student Conduct.

Alex Baker, chief information officer for the fraternity’s national headquarters, said the organization is already underway with the appeal process.

“Our expectation is that the appeal process is taken seriously and officials have not pre-determined an outcome without completing the rights afforded to this student organization,” Baker said in a statement.

Ohio State’s student conduct web page list three grounds for appeals. A ruling can be reversed if the sanction is “grossly disproportionate to the violations committed;” substantial evidence is discovered that was unavailable at the time of the hearing that could have affected the decision; or if prejudice to students occurs.

Baker did not specify on what grounds the organization is appealing.

The appeal will be reviewed by Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston, Ohio State’s senior vice president for student life.

The suspension is the chapter’s second from Ohio State. The first came in 2001 and sent the fraternity off campus for one year. Both of the chapter’s suspensions were for similar patterns of misconduct. A news release announcing the suspension at the time said the chapter was found to have participated in hazing activities and “other recent poor behavior.”

The chapter appealed the suspension in 2001, though it was denied.

Tau Kappa Epsilon, or TKE, is the first of the 11 fraternities who were or currently are being investigated to be punished by the university.

Due to the high volume of misconduct investigations that occurred throughout Autumn Semester, Ohio State suspended all 37 of its Interfraternity Council chapters in November in what it called a precautionary measure. It released an action plan in December for fraternities to follow in order to regain social, recruitment and new member activity privileges.