Ohio State redshirt junior goalie Kassidy Sauve (32) goes for a save in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The No. 5 Ohio State women’s hockey team (17-6-4, 10-3-4 WCHA) was swept in both matchups to Minnesota Duluth (11-13-2, 7-10-2 WCHA) on Friday and Saturday to end its five-game win streak.

Game 1

Ohio State dropped the series opener 4-1 Friday despite outshooting Minnesota Duluth 39-28 in the game.

Just four minutes in the first period, Minnesota Duluth redshirt senior forward Katerina Mrazova scored the first goal of the game, and the only goal of the period.

Ohio State responded by evening the game at one goal apiece when freshman forward Tatum Skaggs found the back of the net five minutes into the second period. Junior defender Lauren Boyle and freshman forward Emma Maltais were credited with assists.

Minnesota Duluth sophomore defender Jalyn Elmes scored the go-ahead goal to take a 2-1 lead 8:55 into the second period..

The Bulldogs were not finished in the second period. Sophomore forward Sydney Brodt and freshman forward Naomi Rogge scored two goals in the period to pull away 4-1, a score which held for the remainder of the game.

Ohio State attempted 14 shots in the third period, but none found the back of the net, dropping the first game 4-1.

Game 2

Ohio State held Minnesota Duluth scoreless through the first two periods of the series finale, but a pair of third period goals pushed the Bulldogs in front for a 2-1 win against the Buckeyes Saturday.

The Buckeyes could not find the back of the net in the first period, despite taking 19 shots. But 11 minutes into the second period, Skaggs gave Ohio State a 1-0 lead with her second goal of the series and the first goal of the game.

After being shut out through the first two periods, Minnesota Duluth struck early in the third period, scoring a goal from freshman forward Anna Klein 3:52 into the period.

Klein followed her goal up with a second score late in the third period to give Minnesota Duluth a 2-1. The Bulldogs held on for the win, rebounding from Ohio State’s October sweep of Minnesota Duluth.