Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano speaks to the media on Dec. 27 prior to the 2017 Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State raked in its best statistical recruiting class under head coach Urban Meyer with two more commitments on National Signing Day, but that wasn’t the biggest news for the Buckeyes when looking at the 2018 season.

After rumors circulating that defensive coordinator and safeties coach Greg Schiano was expected to take the vacant New England Patriots defensive coordinator position, Schiano apparently spoke with Sports Illustrated’s Bruce Feldman to set the record straight that he was remaining at Ohio State next season.

It’s been a turbulent offseason for the Ohio State coaching staff with reports that quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Ryan Day would leave to become the Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator — he eventually was promoted to offensive coordinator to stay with the Buckeyes — and cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs signing on to become the Titans cornerbacks coach.

Coombs was one of Ohio State’s most integral recruiters and position coaches, having produced four first-round picks from his position group in the last four drafts, so losing Schiano would’ve been another blow to the defensive outlook of Ohio State, as well as its recruiting prowess.