Taver Johnson is returning to Ohio State.

Ohio State officially announced the hiring of Johnson to take over as the team’s new cornerbacks coach and the 10th assistant on the team, according to an Ohio State spokesperson. He will be replacing Kerry Coombs, who left Ohio State to coach cornerbacks for the Tennessee Titans. Johnson had spent the previous season as the defensive coordinator for Temple.

“I am really pleased to have Taver Johnson join our coaching staff,” head coach Urban Meyer said in a statement. “I’ve known Taver for a long time, going back to our days at Notre Dame, and I think he is a terrific coach and person. He’ll do an excellent job coaching our cornerbacks and mentoring the young men in our program.”

Johnson is no stranger to Columbus, having served on former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel’s staff as the cornerbacks coach from 2007 to 2011. He and Meyer were also on the same staff back in 1999 when Johnson was a graduate assistant and Meyer was the wide receivers coach at Notre Dame.

The Cincinnati, Ohio, native had been around the midwest before landing back in his home state of Ohio. He was a defensive line coach at his alma mater Wittenberg from 1994 to 1995 and served several roles at Millikin for three seasons. He later became linebackers coach at Miami (Ohio) from 2000 to 2003.

He held a job in the NFL as the special teams coordinator for the Cleveland Browns in 2004 before returning back to Miami as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for a pair of seasons.

Then after leaving Ohio State following the 2011 season, Johnson was the cornerbacks coach at Arkansas for two seasons and the same role at Purdue for three more, before going to Temple.

Johnson joins Alex Grinch as the only two new coaching additions made by Ohio State over the offseason. Grinch’s role has yet to be publicly announced.