BuckeyeThon raised $1,603,437.49 in 2018. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo editor

After 24 hours of dancing in silent raves with crowds dressed in blue, yellow, black, red, green, purple and black; listening to speeches given by families with kids affected by cancer; and participants doing what they can to support children in one of life’s hardest fights, BuckeyeThon announced its record-breaking amount raised for 2018: $1,603,437.49.

Every cent earned by BuckeyeThon is given to Nationwide Children’s Hospital’s hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant floor for research, treatment and support.

“We are extremely thankful for the Ohio State and for all of the support from the campus and Columbus community,” said Lauren Hurst, BuckeyeThon’s director of marketing and communication. “We came together to make 1,603,437.49 miracles for the kids, and we know that that number is going to change countless lives at the hospital through the psychosocial services and pediatric cancer research it will provide.”

In 2017, the popular Ohio State event raised $1,510,036.39 for pediatric cancer research and patients. In 2016, $1,338,872.37 was raised, and in 2015, $1,231,290.11 was raised.

“This cause is growing on the Ohio State community; there were even more students that participated in BuckeyeThon than last year and even had a large amount of support from those that did not sign up this year,” Hurst, a fourth-year in molecular genetics said. “The best part about BuckeyeThon is the passion that you feel from every single student not just in the union on day of the Dance Marathon, but throughout the entire year.”

Students participate in the 24-hour dance marathon after raising at least $250 and registering to a team. After signing up for a shift, teams participate in different activities throughout a 12-hour period, then return to the Ohio Union around 10 p.m. for the big reveal.

But BuckeyeThon isn’t just a one-night event: it’s year-round. Fundraising starts the day after each thon, with students at both Ohio State and surrounding-area high schools working toward something bigger than themselves: a world where children and families no longer have to suffer through the pain of cancer.

BuckeyeThon fundraising events held throughout the year include its fashion show, barbecues and CarnOval — an event on The Oval scheduled for April 12.

While BuckeyeThon’s General Body plans and organizes the events, Hurst said every single student that participates is important for the dance marathon’s growing success.

“The students of this campus poured their hearts and souls into something bigger than themselves and we could not have done it without each and every one of them,” she said.

This article has been updated with comment from Hurst.