Ohio State senior guard Kelsey Mitchell (3) takes the ball down the court in the game against Penn State on Jan. 31. Ohio State won 94-64. James King | Sports Director

For the first time in the history of the women’s basketball program, Ohio State has a four-time All-American.

Guard Kelsey Mitchell was selected as an Associated Press second-team All-American after her senior season in which she averaged 24.3 points per game, the third-most in the country. She was named a second-team All-American in 2015 and 2017, and was a first-team All-American in 2016.

In all four years of her career, Mitchell averaged at least 22 points per game and her team made the NCAA tournament after missing it the year prior to her arrival.

Mitchell and the Buckeyes suffered a disappointing loss to Central Michigan in the second round of the NCAA to end the season and the star guard’s career. Despite the abrupt end to her career, Mitchell finished her career ranked second in NCAA history with 3,402 career points. She also holds the record for most 3-pointers both made and attempted (497-for-1286) and ended her career on a 92-game streak with a made triple, the longest in NCAA history.

She earned the Big Ten Player of the Year Award in 2015 and 2017 and was named conference player of the year by the coaches this season.

The first team consisted of South Carolina forward A’ja Wilson, UConn forward Katie Lou Samuelson, Mississippi State guard Victoria Vivians, Louisville guard Asia Durr and Oregon guard Sabrina Ionescu.

Baylor forward Kalani Brown, Iowa forward Megan Gustafson, Notre Dame guard Arike Ogunbowale and UConn guard Gabby Williams joined Mitchell on the second team.

With her collegiate career now complete, Mitchell will realign her focus and direct her attention on preparing for the WNBA draft. She is viewed as one of the top two prospects, along with Wilson, in the 2018 WNBA Draft.