Ohio State senior guard Kelsey Mitchell waits for an inbound pass in the NCAA tournament game against CEntral Michigan on Mar. 19 in St. John Arena. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Sports Editor

Just one player — former Washington guard Kelsey Pum — has scored more career points in NCAA history than Ohio State senior guard Kelsey Mitchell.

Mitchell, a three-time Big Ten Player of the Year, hit a layup in the fourth quarter of the second-round matchup between the No. 3-seed Buckeyes and No. 11-seed Central Michigan to move her past former Missouri State guard Jackie Stiles, who scored 3,393 career points, and into second place.

She seems unlikely to pass Plum, who currently sits at 3,527 career collegiate points, to become the all-time leading scorer. Even if the Buckeyes advanced to the NCAA championship game, Mitchell trails Plum by more than 125 points and would need to average 30-plus points to claim the top spot. She entered Monday averaging 24.1 points per game and scored just 11 points in the first round of the tournament against George Washington.

Mitchell became the Big Ten’s all-time leading scorer on Jan. 27, passing Minnesota’s Rachel Banham, when she hit a 3-pointer against Michigan State to give her 3,093 career points. She has scored more than 500 points more than former Buckeye forward Jantel Lavender, who sits in second with 2,818 career points.

Mitchell holds numerous other NCAA, Big Ten and Ohio State records.

The senior maintains a current streak of 92 straight games with a made 3-pointer, the most in a row in NCAA history. Mitchell also has made the most 3-pointers in NCAA history with 491 triples. The volume shooter has attempted the most field goals (2,531) and 3-pointers (1,270) ever in the NCAA.