The women’s lacrosse team huddles uo before a game in Ohio Stadium. Credit: Rebecca Farage | For The Lantern

The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team came into its Saturday matchup against No. 18 with plenty of momentum, having won its past two games at home. However, that momentum was halted after the Buckeyes were blown out at home to No. 18 Penn State 18-10 Saturday afternoon.

Prior to the game, Abigail Wise, Madison Castelein, Katie Burgee, Lauren Sherry, Anna Seanor, Emalee Mongno, Molly Wood and Shannon Rosati were all honored for senior day despite Ohio State having one more game remaining at home on April 15. Both Wood and Rosati have started in all 11 games for Ohio State this season with Wood having the third-most goals on the team at 19.

The Buckeyes (5-6, 1-2 Big Ten) closed out the first half down 7-6, but could not keep it close in the second half. The Nittany Lions (8-4, 3-0 Big Ten) took control and scored 11 goals in the half and held Ohio State to just four to hand the Buckeyes their second conference loss of the season.

The Buckeyes took an early lead when sophomore midfielder Liza Hernandez scored 45 seconds into the game. Junior midfields Mackenzie Maring and Baley Parrott followed up with goals to put Ohio State ahead 3-0 early in the half.

The Nittany Lions responded with a 3-0 run of their own and tied the game with 22 minutes remaining in the first half.

Penn State took the lead, but the Buckeyes fought to keep the game close. Ohio State trailed by one at the end of the half following a free position goal with 25 seconds left by Ohio State freshman midfielder Lindsay Epstein.

The Nittany Lions wasted no time in the second half. Senior midfield Katie O’Donnell scored 36 seconds into the half and sophomore attack Maria Auth followed up with another goal 30 seconds later.

The Buckeyes would not give in and Parrott cut Penn State’s lead to two with 28 minutes left. The Nittany Lions went on two more runs before Wood and freshman attack Riley Ewing scored back-to-back goals in a comeback effort.

Ohio State will look to bounce back when it takes on Northwestern at 7 p.m. Friday.