Home » Sports » Basketball » Men’s Basketball: Ohio State lands Florida State transfer guard C.J. Walker

Men’s Basketball: Ohio State lands Florida State transfer guard C.J. Walker

Just as it did last year, the Ohio State men’s basketball team picked up a transfer guard to add some depth to the roster.

Former Florida State guard C.J. Walker tweeted Sunday that he will be transferring to Ohio State to play for head coach Chris Holtmann.

Unlike last season when the Buckeyes snagged former Michigan guard Andrew Dakich who had one year of eligibility left, Walker has two years of eligibility remaining. He will be eligible to start playing in the 2019-20 season.

Last season as a sophomore, Walker started in 34 of the team’s 35 games at point guard. He averaged 8.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 23.2 minutes per game as a starter for the Seminoles. He shot 41.2 percent from the field and 35.5 percent from 3, attempting 3.1 3-pointers per game. In the team’s four NCAA Tournament games, Walker averaged just 4.3 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.8 assists per game.

Walker averaged 12.5 minutes per game as a freshman, tallying 4.9 points per game.

The junior was listed as the No. 113 recruit in the class of 2016 by the 247Sports composite rankings. The scouting website also listed the former four-star recruit as the No. 24 point guard and fourth-best prospect from the state of Indiana.

With starting point guard C.J. Jackson having one year of eligibility remaining, Walker will have a chance to take over for the incumbent in 2019 after sitting out next season. Fellow guards Luther Muhammad and Duane Washington will join the Buckeyes in the fall and will be sophomores in 2019, when Walker becomes eligible.