Political Pulse is a weekly column with the goal of giving objective, to-the-point information to readers on current political events.

Politicians across the country remember Martin Luther King Jr.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. speaks on Jan. 1, 1960 in Washington D.C. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Wednesday marked the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination in Memphis, Tennessee, and people across the entire political spectrum joined in honoring the civil rights hero.

Bernice A. King, a minister and daughter of Martin Luther King, Jr., tweeted out a heartfelt message utilizing Maya Angelou’s words to capture the impact of her father.

President Donald Trump sent out a tweet and accompanying video about King’s “legacy of justice and peace.” Meanwhile, Rep. John Lewis, a friend and compatriot of King, mourned the loss of his “mentor” 50 years ago.

In a video released by the Obama Foundation, Lewis joined former President Barack Obama for a roundtable discussion with high school students to honor the memory of King.

Some of the most striking images of the day, however, did not come from politicians, but rather from a group of students who started a 50-mile march Saturday from Dundee, Mississippi, to Memphis, Tennessee, to mark the occasion.

One student told local news that the group marching — ranging in age from 14 to 19 years old with one white student — is a “way to show people that you can have friendships with different people of different backgrounds, different races, on all levels.”

OSU alumna wins pivotal Wisconsin race

Rebecca Dallet, a 1991 Ohio State alumna, won a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court Tuesday in a race that is seen by many as a measuring stick for the rest of 2018.

Officially a nonpartisan race — like all supreme court races — Dallet was backed by liberals and defeated Michael Screnock 56 to 44 percent. Screnock was backed by conservatives.

Democrats have been winning or over-performing in special elections since Trump took office with high-profile examples like Doug Jones and Conor Lamb flipping Republican Congressional seats, in Alabama and Pennsylvania, respectively.

Dallet earned a bachelor’s degree in economics at Ohio State followed by a law degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in Cleveland. She made her way to Wisconsin as assistant district attorney with the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office before being elected a judge for the Milwaukee County Circuit Court in 2008 and 2014.

Dallet’s win — a win for the Democratic party as a whole — was enough to elicit a response from Republican Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker in a series of tweets warning of a “blue wave” in the 2018 midterms.