Ohio State’s Kyle Snyder waves to the crowd no senior night prior to the the dual-meet against Iowa on Jan. 21 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State senior wrestler Kyle Snyder on Tuesday was named the 88th AAU James E. Sullivan Award winner, a recognition given to the nation’s best amateur athlete as voted by the general public.

Snyder took home the hardware over other finalists North Carolina guard Joel Berry II, Michigan runner Erin Finn, Nebraska setter Kelly Hunter, Nebraska outside hitter Annika Albrecht, Paralympic equestrian Angela Peavy, and Olympic ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani.

Snyder is the second Buckeyes to win the award in the past four years with running back Ezekiel Elliott having been honored in 2014. Past winners of the award include Peyton Manning, Michael Phelps and Tim Tebow. The last wrestler to win was Rulon Gardner in 2000.

Snyder adds this honor to a long list of achievements, highlighted by his 2016 Olympic Gold Medal and his three individual national championships as a Buckeye.

The Amateur Athletic Union was founded in 1888 and has been presenting the award — named after the AAU’s founder James Sullivan — since 1930. According to its website, the criteria includes qualities of leadership in addition to accomplishments at the collegiate or Olympic level.

Snyder won his third national championship in Cleveland back on March 17, and helped Team USA win the 2018 Wrestling World Cup in Iowa City, Iowa, on April 8.