Lindsay Cooper Martin | Credit: Wexner Center for the Arts

The Wexner Center for the Arts announced Thursday that Lindsay Cooper Martin will take over as deputy director beginning July 16. The previous director, Jack Jackson, retired  in April.

The responsibilities of the job include focusing on integrated and strategic organizational capacity-building across administrative and operational functions including marketing, communications, development and patron services.

Martin’s role will also have her helping enhance the Wexner Center for the Arts’ profile and reach across campus, community and the larger art world regionally, nationally and internationally.

Before accepting her new position, Martin served as director of administration for three years at the Hammer Museum at UCLA. She directed the museum’s human resource function for a full-time staff, provided leadership to a gallery operations team and was integral in shaping strategic planning and organizational governance.

Martin said she looks forward to helping the Wexner Center for the Arts develop more programs and serve the Ohio State and local communities.

“I’m thrilled to join the Wex, with its experimental spirit, visionary exhibitions, innovative performances, films, programs and distinguished track record that make it a leading voice in contemporary art,” Martin said in a press release. “I look forward to collaborating with staff, board and university leadership to steward the organization as it continues this important work and serves the Ohio State and Columbus communities.”

Even though it was announced she’s stepping down as director of the Wexner Arts Center at the end of this year, Sherri Geldin is excited to have Martin on staff.

“Lindsay’s knowledge of the field is incredible, and she has extensive experience with strategic and operational planning for institutions similar to the Wex,” Geldin said. “As the Wex embarks on envisioning its future amidst a re-imagined gateway to the university, Lindsay’s keen and multifaceted perspective will be an enormous asset to everyone – the Wex board and staff, as well as colleagues at The Ohio State University.”

Over the next six months, Geldin will work closely with Martin to ensure the smoothest possible transition as the center prepares to welcome a new director in early 2019.