Home » Campus » Fifth wrestler alleges Jim Jordan knew of sexual abuse

Fifth wrestler alleges Jim Jordan knew of sexual abuse

Richard Strauss, a former wrestling team physician and an assistant professor of medicine, is being investigated by Ohio State on allegations of sexual misconduct. Credit: Lantern file photo

Three former Ohio State wrestlers  came forward to say that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan knew of alleged sexual abuse by Dr. Richard J. Strauss while Jordan was an assistant wrestling coach from 1987 to 1995 at Ohio State in a report by NBC.

Since the report by NBC, Jordan has denied the allegations, supporters have questioned the timing by the former wrestlers, the president has weighed in and a fifth wrestler has come forward.

Jordan denies knowledge of abuse

Jordan has roundly denied allegations that he knew of any sexual abuse, first in statements by his office and then in an interview on Fox News Friday night.

“I never saw, never heard of, never was told about any kind of abuse,” Jordan told Fox News host Bret Baier. “If I did, I would have dealt with it. A good coach puts the interests of his student-athletes first.”

During the interview, Jordan questioned the motives of those connecting him to the abuse and pushed the theory popular among those supporting him: the timing of this story is a ploy to keep him from becoming the next Speaker of the House.

“I think the timing is suspect when you think about how this whole story came together after the Rosenstein hearing and the speaker’s race,” he said.

Jordan, a founding member of the Freedom Caucus and an ardent supporter of President Donald Trump, has been pegged as a favorite by hard-line conservatives to take Wisconsin Republican Paul Ryan’s position as speaker of the house when he retires following the midterm elections.

Trump defends Jordan

Trump addressed the rumors about Jordan, defending the Republican member of the House aboard Air Force One while en route to a rally in Montana Thursday.

“I don’t believe them at all,” he said, referencing allegations that Jordan was aware of sexual abuse while he was a coach. “I believe him. I believe him 100 percent. No question in my mind.”

Trump continued that Jordan was one of the best people he has met in his time in Washington.

Fifth wrestler comes forward

Former Ohio State wrestler and UFC world champion Mark Coleman joined the other wrestlers who claimed Jordan knew of the alleged abuse this week saying in an interview with The Wall Street Journal that the only way Jordan doesn’t remember is if he has dementia.

“There’s no way unless he’s got dementia or something that he’s got no recollection of what was going on at Ohio State,” Coleman said. “I have nothing but respect for this man, I love this man, but he knew as far as I’m concerned.”

1. Steven Tenenbaum

Five separate witnesses reporting they spoke to Jordan about the abuse. Are we to believe the are all coerced by some “deep state conspiracy?”
    The arrogant indifference to accountability, the utter calousness to the pain caused by twisting facts to block personal responsibility, these are the reasons true conservative Patriots are deserting the former Grand Old Party, as it morphs under the infantile ahistorical aurocratic excuse for leadership by the Slumlord in Chief into the post-truth party of racist collaborators.

• This is the typical M.O. of people like Gloria Alred and the DNC as well. Besides, Jordon was the Asst. Coach, not the Coach. So why isn’t anyone saying anything about the coach? Because they don’t care about the coach. They care about going after Jim Jordan. And that’s ALL this is about to any thinking person. People today will do just about anything for their Party… and that’s too bad.

• Steven Tenenbaum

The coach is not a public official. Therefore his behavior is not newsworthy. Five students reporting abuse to the assistant coach and the Asst. Coach taking no action demonstrates a repre sensible lack of leadership, totally unacceptable for a public figure. Conceiving the five students as part of a plot is…Fanciful at best…And not to put to o fine of a point on it, conveniently deplorable!

• If the five wrestlers had knowledge of abuse by this doctor, why didn’t they say something or take action at that time? I assume they were all 18 years of age (ie. adults) when they witnessed this. Why wait 30 years to point the finger at Rep. Jim Jordan for not speaking up (assuming he also knew). And taking responsibility is not exclusive to “public figures”.

• @Steven Tenenbaum: How ridiculous can you be? So if kids are attacked by someone who’s not a public official it’s not newsworthy? At this point we don’t know if anything even happened. People are just supporting their political interests. If you don’t like Jordan say he’s guilty. If you do like Jordan say he’s not guilty. Both sides are devoid of any real facts and in a case like that, in this country, we assume the accused to be innocent until a court of law sorts out the facts. Americans need to care more about their country than they do their political Parties. Your last sentence was jibberish so I can’t respond to that. Anyway, I have better things to do than have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I’m off so you can have the final word. Unfortunately, I won’t be reading it.

• My issues is with the fact that none of these former wrestlers felt compelled to come forward sooner. That alone casts doubt on their stories.

What is also odd is that there are no baseball players coming forward, even though Strauss also worked with the baseball team.

I tend to believe that Strauss is guilty of being a pervert but really, since he’s dead, there’s no way to really investigate this.

If the deliberation of truth was determined in court, they’d hear these 5-6 former wrestlers testimony and accusations, and then the defense would subpoena every former baseball player, wrestler, the assistant coaches and head coaches for the two programs during that time and you’d get hundreds of people saying something different. Who are the liars then?