Ohio State junior linebacker Nick Bosa (97) runs a drill in warmups prior to the 2018 Spring Game in Ohio Stadium April 14. Gray beat Scarlet 37-14. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for Design

As the college football season inches closer, the expectations for Ohio State remain high for the team. For two players individually though, the high expectations are already set.

Both junior defensive end Nick Bosa and sophomore running back J.K. Dobbins have been named to the preseason Maxwell Award watch list, given to college football’s player of the year at the end of the season.

Along with the Maxwell Award watch list, Bosa was named to the preseason Bednarik Award watch list, given to the best defensive player in college football. Last season, the 6-foot-4, 263-pound defensive end was named as the Big Ten Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year, finishing second in the Big Ten in tackles for loss (16) and sacks (8).

In his first season with the Buckeyes, Dobbins set the freshman rushing record with 1,403 yards and averaged 7.2 yards per carry, the second best for a back in school history. This earned the La Grange, Texas, native ESPN Freshman All-America honors as well as second-team All-Big Ten honors.

In the school’s history, Ohio State has had a player win the Maxwell Award four times with running back Eddie George receiving the award last in 1995. An Ohio State defensive player has never won the Bednarik Award.