Urban Meyer paces during a Buckeye offensive possession from the sideline in the third quarter of the Ohio State-Iowa game on Nov. 4. Ohio State lost 55-24. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State could be given $500,000 to spend in its investigation into how football head coach Urban Meyer handled the domestic abuse allegations against former wide receivers coach Zach Smith, according to Columbus Dispatch reporter Jenn Smola.

According to the report, Ohio attorney general Mike DeWine has given Ohio State a budget of $500,000 to spend on the law firm handling the investigation. That budget will require approval from the Ohio Controlling Board on Monday. The report goes on to say that Ohio State cannot exceed a $1,620 per hour rate.

Ohio State will be responsible for compensating the law firm, Debevoise and Plimpton, when the investigation has concluded, the report said.

According to a statement issued by the university on August 5, an independent group will complete its investigation in 14 days. That group is chaired by former Ohio House speaker Jo Ann Davidson and is responsible for directing the work of the investigative team led by former Chair of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Mary Jo White. She is also the senior chair for the law firm Debevoise and Plimpton.