Ohio State acting head coach addresses the media on Aug. 27 prior to the first game of the season against Oregon State. Credit Amal Saeed | Assistant Photo Editor

Ohio State acting head coach Ryan Day said he does not expect the offense to change much going into the first game of the season with redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins under center.

During Tuesday’s Big Ten coaches teleconference, Day said the idea of the offense from last season, even without quarterback J.T. Barrett or center Billy Price, will be similar if not the same.

“Without J.T. and Billy in there, you know, it’s going to take on a little bit more of a different personality,” Day said. “Dwayne has a different skill set that J.T., but, for the most part, you know, our offense is our offense. We want to be 250 and 250, that’s the goal, we want to be 50 percent passing, 50 percent running, have good balance.”

Day reiterated that Haskins would be the starter heading into the game against Oregon State on Saturday, but said, even if redshirt freshman Tate Martell gets some playing time, the offense will not change and have the same approach of stretching the field horizontally and vertically.

Much of that has to do with the running game Ohio State returns this season, with the combination of sophomore running back J.K. Dobbins and redshirt junior running back Mike Weber.

“I kind of see it as a two-headed monster, kind of like it was last year,” Day said. “Obviously, they both have to be healthy. There will be plenty of carries to go around throughout the year.”

Day also said first-year running backs Brian Snead and Master Teague will have a role to play in the offense this fall as well.

Jordan’s move to center always considered

After announcing that junior offensive lineman Michael Jordan would move from guard to center to start the 2018 season on Monday, Day said the move was always under consideration by the coaching staff.

“It was something that we considered all along,” Day said. “We just, kind of, wanted to take a look at all of our options and see which gave us the best option to be successful this season.”

Day also said the decision was based on giving Jordan, redshirt senior Brady Taylor and redshirt freshman Josh Myers equal snaps during spring practice and fall camp.

Day mentions Meyer’s meeting with team

In the teleconference, Day said head coach Urban Meyer met with the players and the coaches prior to the beginning of his suspension.

After being placed on administrative leave on Aug. 1, Day has been the acting head coach. The university announced Meyer was suspended for the first three games of the season, but will be allowed to coach his team during the week starting Sept. 2.

Day said the contents of the meeting are private, but said the team was glad to see him.

“The guys were happy to see him,” Day said. “Shoot, I was happy to see him because it seemed like a  long time where we were used to seeing him every day, so hadn’t seen him in a few weeks, that was good. There were a lot of hugs and I know coach, he was happy to see the guys.”

Day said Meyer gave the team an update on his situation and explained himself to help the team move forward.