Home » Sports » Football » Football: Statement says Urban Meyer investigation expected to be completed in 14 days

Football: Statement says Urban Meyer investigation expected to be completed in 14 days

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer observes the field at Memorial Stadium prior to the Buckeyes’ season-opening 49-21 win over Indiana on Aug. 31 in Bloomington, Indiana. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Sports Editor

The independent group investigating the allegations against Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer should complete their investigation within 14 days, according to a statement made from the university.

“A newly convened, independent working group — formed by the university’s Board of Trustees to direct the investigation involving Urban Meyer — met late last week, appointed a chair, and engaged an investigative firm,” the statement said.

The statement also said former Ohio House speaker Jo Ann Davidson will serve as chair of the group, and that the group “was formed to direct the work of the investigative team and be available to provide consultation and advice, and to assist with communication to the full board on the matter.”

“Ohio State is committed to a thorough and complete investigation,” Davidson said in the statement. “We look forward to sharing the results of this investigation and any action the university may take.”

The investigative team will be led by former Chair of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Mary Jo White. She is also the senior chair for the law firm Debevoise and Plimpton.

Meyer is being investigated for allegations that he knew about domestic violence incidents in 2009 and 2015 by former wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Smith.

Smith was fired for the charges on July 23. Meyer was put on paid administrative leave last Wednesday.

1. Good. It means they do not intend the toxic, PC media to dictate the outcome. Let’s see if the politically correct scolds at ESPN can keep their hate machine turned up to 11 for the next 14 days.

Courtney Smith has now produced a single picture of a red arm and a red neck after claiming to be in an abusive relationship for nine full years. She also secured a single restraining order after Zach Smith dropped the children off in front of her home without leaving the car or entering her property. Ms. Smith has repeatedly shown herself to be an instigator and over-reactor for the purpose of garnering attention, characteristics of one who suffers from borderline personality disorder. We have no idea of the history of these red marks, but we need to get over the idea that it is always a monstrous, and abusive act for a male to respond physically to abuse by a female partner. It is not and to insist otherwise is misandrous sexism. If a man is being kicked, scratched, and punched, he has the right to restrain his attacker. If he is awakened in the middle of the night by a punch to the stomach or by being suffocated–both VERY COMMON methods of attack by borderlines, he does not deserve to be crucified if he awakens startled and threatened and is not perfectly gentle in restraining his attacker. Borderlines are also infamous for telling the children “Daddy hates you!” in front of their husbands when the husband does not comply with her demands. This is enough to enrage any adult of either gender in contemplation of the emotional damage the borderline is willing to inflict upon the children in order to get her own way.

2. wow OSU will be like penn state !!! they hurt children its was ok give joe his wind back !!! and urban thug lies like joe and this staff beats women and lies about and gets a slap on his lil wrist is ok urban lier meyer just like he did at fla the man is a liar !!! and a cheater on his wife at fla !!! u got caught and lied again about a medical issue !!!

• ok OSU FANS TRUTH BE TOLD “”””

WHAT IF THAT WAS YOUR DAUGHTER IN THE SITUATION !!! ??? WOULD U REALLY RALLY AROUND UR COACH LIEING TO YOU ,,,,

• Not sure if you have read all the published details, or watched Courtney Smiths interview, but she states that her own parents have “known” and her ex husbands as well. What strikes me as almost unbelievable is that if her own mother and father knew about the allegations and literally told her to do nothing, as she has stated! No way do I believe her mother and father would stand idly by and not immediately escalate any issue of physical abuse to have her leave etc! Especially with 4 grandchildren! As a father of a daughter and husband to a wife I know that my father in law would be all over me if I were to ever raise a hand in violence to his daughter as I would be against any person hurting my daughter! So I call BS on that and that detail is being completely ignored! What kind of parents put the abusers job over the safety of their daughter!?! No way! No how does that make any damn sense! So perhaps you should take a step back and think about these allegations! The fact that no legal charges have been made and the absolute oddities of the entire situation.

Domestic violence is flat wrong, by any party! But so is this mob mentality!

3. Just have to ask. What does the coach firing or not firing Zack have to do with the dynamics of Zack and Courtney’s relationship. Not that Zack shouldn’t have been fired once abuse was learned but just removing him from his job and away from OSU will not change what is going on with him and Courtney. His firing might even enrage him more. Just thinking out loud. A sad situation all the way around.

4. Why is this such big news? I’ll bet there’s many abusers that teach at big colleges and a whole lot of them in normal jobs. It’s not the job of bosses to turn in or fire people because of alleged abuse. I knew a lady like this once. She got even with everyone who didn’t kiss her butt by calling many places and falsely accusing people of all kinds of things and she did it anonymously! This lady wants her fifteen minutes. How is a coach supposed to know what goes on behind closed doors during a hectic training schedule. Oh yes, he’s suppose to keep all his players perfect too! When is he supposed to have time to coach?