CELLOHIO ensemble members perform in the Ohio Union. Credit: Courtesy of Clara Davison

The slow-paced, soothing sounds of Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major. The iconic, upbeat rhythm of Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, Prelude.

These famous compositions of Johann Sebastian Bach — and many more — will replace the standard mix of modern music played over the speakers in the Heirloom Cafe at the Wexner Center for the Arts and at the Ohio Union this weekend performed by student cellists from CELLOHIO.

The “Bach to School” event aims to expose students to the works of Bach and give musicians in the ensemble a chance at real-world experience.

“Bach to School is a program to get cellists out playing music in spaces that are open to the public,” said Clara Davison, a fourth-year arts management major and executive director of CELLOHIO. “We strive to have interesting opportunities outside of the practice room.”

The concert will be comprised of solo performances by the musicians in the ensemble, giving them the opportunity to showcase their individual talents.  

The event does not have a standard concert set-up. CELLOHIO prefers a casual setting, where students are not pressured to pay full attention to the performance, according to artistic director Samuel Johnson.

“The vibe for all of our live performances is going to be one of ease and comfort,” Johnson said. “Not the type of thing where you’re in the concert hall and you have to pay a ticket to get in.”

All attendees are encouraged to switch between each cellist performance at will and choose how they want their listening experience to occur.  

“These performances that we want to give are aimed at a sort of impromptu nature,” Johnson said. “Take a video of the performer. Walk up to the second story and hear a different perspective.”

Johnson also said CELLOHIO aims to make the experience unforgettable for audience members.  

“What we hope to create is a unique and interactive and ephemeral experience where what you’re hearing in this moment is totally unique to the space that we’re playing in,” Johnson said. “Not a concert hall, but you happen to be at Heirloom and here’s this amazing music that can lift you out of your everyday life.”

This annual event put on by CELLOHIO will take place at the Heirloom Cafe at 11:30 a.m. on Friday and 5 p.m. at the Ohio Union on Saturday.