Urban Meyer listens at a press conference as he fields questions about his handling of the Zach Smith domestic abuse allegations on Aug. 22, 2018. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

On Monday, Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer released a statement on Twitter reaffirming his commitment against domestic violence, as well as apologizing for his previous actions, including keeping former wide receivers coach Zach Smith on staff and his comments at Big Ten Media Days.

Meyer said that he “should have done a better job” with his handling of Smith’s duration at Ohio State, and that he’ll “always regret” that he did not.

In the statement, Meyer said that his time away from the program allowed him “a chance to reflect and it gave me a chance to learn a great deal from these events.”

ESPN aired the second portion of its interview with Meyer Monday morning. He denied, to ESPN reporter Tom Rinaldi, that he deleted text messages from his phone and did not have a “consciousness of guilt” regarding those messages.

Meyer also apologized again to Courtney Smith, Zach Smith’s ex-wife who allegedly faced years of abuse, including being thrown into a wall while pregnant.

Meyer told Rinaldi that his intent to keep Zach Smith on staff, not to enable any sort of abuse that was happening, but to help what he considered a struggling marriage.

“I will always be sorry for what Courtney Smith and her family have gone through,” Meyer said in the statement. “I also apologize to President Drake and my University colleagues, our players and our fans.”

Meyer told Rinaldi in an interview, Monday, he has not spoken directly to Courtney Smith since the suspension, and is not sure if he will, saying, “That’s something I will have to think through.”

Meyer also complimented offensive coordinator Ryan Day, who went 3-0 in his tenure as acting head coach for the Buckeyes, saying that the “team has performed well” and that Meyer “could not be more proud.”

Meyer was suspended three games on Aug. 22 for his mishandling of allegations against Zach Smith, but rejoined the team for practice following Ohio State’s win over Oregon State on Sept. 1.

Updated at 10 a.m. with information from Meyer’s ESPN interview.