The Ohio State men’s hockey team gathers prior to the start of the game against Wisconsin on Feb. 23 in the Schottenstein Centern. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for Design

Ohio State is ranked No. 1 in the 2018-19 Big Ten hockey preseason coaches’ poll, which was announced Monday as part of the Big Ten Hockey Preseason Honors.

Joining the Buckeyes in the poll were fellow 2018 Frozen Four participants Michigan and Notre Dame, who ranked second and third respectively. Minnesota, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan State rounded out the rest of the conference rankings.

Additionally, Ohio State is ranked third in the nation in the USCHO Preseason Men’s poll, which was also released Monday. The Buckeyes are behind No. 2 Notre Dame and the defending national champions, Minnesota Duluth, who came in at No. 1 with 44 first-place votes.

Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan, who is ranked No. 4, each received two first place votes.

Senior forwards Mason Jobst and Dakota Joshua, as well as junior forward Tanner Laczynski, were all listed on the 2018-2019 Big Ten Preseason Watch List. Ohio State had three selections out of the 15 players named, tied with Michigan and Michigan State for the most in the conference.

This is Jobst’s third appearance on the Big Ten Preseason Watch List. Last season he was given 2018 Second Team All-Big Ten honors and enters this season as the NCAA’s active leading scorer with 128 points.

This is the first appearance for both Laczynski and Joshua on the list. Laczynski scored a career high 47 points last season and earned 2018 First Team All-Big Ten and 2018 Second Team All-American honors. Joshua was named to the 2018 NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament Team and has a point in 12 out of his last 19 games.

The Buckeyes kick their season off with a series at Arizona State on Oct. 12-13th.