The Ty Tucker Tennis Center, set to be completed in December 2020, will be in the Athletic District, adjacent to the current outdoor tennis facilities. Credit: The Ohio State University

The Ohio State tennis team will soon receive a home-court advantage after the Board of Trustees announced a plan for a $21.9 million project to build a new indoor tennis complex.

The Board released a report on project funding and scheduling for the new tennis complex on Sept. 6. Construction is set to begin in September 2019 and will be completed by December 2021, the report said.  

The tennis center will be funded by development funds and university debt.

The project, set to be built in the Athletic District on north campus, includes a 75,000-square-foot facility, with six indoor courts and seating for 450 spectators. Both men’s and women’s teams will receive locker rooms and training facilities.

“With the facility in the middle of the Athletic District, it will provide the men’s and women’s tennis programs with a state-of-the-art practice and competition venue, offices and other spaces that will enhance the student-athlete experience,” a press release by the Department of Athletics said.

The facility will be named the Ty Tucker Tennis Center, after the current men’s head coach and director of tennis. Tucker is currently the winningest tennis coach in the Big Ten.

“I’d like to thank the individuals who have a deep appreciation for the Scarlet and Gray for giving to and supporting this project,” Tucker said in a statement. “They have touched the lives of generations of Buckeyes and their impact is immeasurable.”

With both teams making national appearances in the past two years and  the men’s team ending as runners-up in outdoors last season, the overall goal of the indoor center is to attract future recruits, something about which senior tennis player Andrea Ballinger said she is excited.

“I am grateful for the investment Ohio State is putting into the future of Buckeye tennis,” Ballinger said.

Tucker said he wanted a facility to match the success of the Ohio State tennis programs.

“This facility is going to be one of the best tennis facilities in the country,” Tucker said. “With it located in the Athletic District, it will provide the best student-athlete experience for countless Buckeyes in the years to come.”

Redshirt junior Danielle Wolf said not only is the facility a good opportunity to recruit potential players, but that it could not be named after a more fitting person than Tucker.