“Toggl” and “Evernote” are two of many useful apps students can utilize to stay on task. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Time management and organization techniques are key skills to a successful college career, and for graduate students this is no different.

Students today have a multitude of apps at their fingertips to assist them in managing their busy schedules. With a couple taps, anyone with a smartphone or tablet can have access to these tools. Apps can provide services ranging from calendars and schedule planners to the ability to block websites that could be a distraction.

For example, an app called iStudiez Pro, available on multiple platforms, allows users to organize all their daily activities and assignments in an intricate and user-friendly planner.

“It’s basically a digital planner. [It] keeps track of all of my assignments, exams and classes and can be used in any mobile or desktop platform,” Ariel Cooper, a graduate student pursuing her master of business at Ohio State, said in an email. “It also reminds me about upcoming assignments.”

Another popular app is Evernote, a tool used to organize, share and take notes quickly. Checklists, links, audio recordings and other attachments can be added to notes, according to the app’s website. Evernote is supported on a variety of platforms.

Students who struggle with time management might benefit from Toggl, a time-tracking software that allows the user to see how much time has been spent on work or other websites. Toggl is a browser extension and an application, meaning it’s available on any computer, as well as smartphones.

“The reason I find [Toggl] so invaluable is … there’s nobody around to manage your time, and therefore nobody ever tells you if you’re working enough,” said George Pearson, an Ohio State graduate communications student and research associate. “If you know you want to balance time between doing research [and] doing teaching, it’s a really good thing just knowing where your time is going.”