Senior forward Brandon Kearney (25) faces-off in the second period of Ohio State’s game against UMass on Oct. 19. Ohio State lost 6-3. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The Lantern

The No. 7 Ohio State men’s hockey team will try and get its season back on track against No. 5 Notre Dame in the team’s Big Ten opener.

Though the Buckeyes (3-2-1) have a winning record through their first three series, they have struggled defensively and on special teams this season, allowing eight power play goals and more than three goals per game.

Notre Dame (3-2-1) got its season off to a strong start before getting swept at home against now-top ranked Minnesota Duluth.

Both teams are looking to right themselves after shaky starts to the season, and head coach Steve Rohlik understands what the issues have been for the Buckeyes and what they need to do to fix them.

“I think a lot of it was mental, and understanding, and trying to find our identity and who we are,” Rohlik said. “We’ve got to be a blue-collar, hardworking team and keep things simple. But, you know, we can’t wait for things to happen or certain guys to make things happen.”

Notre Dame was a thorn in the side of the Buckeyes last season, with Ohio State going only 1-4 against the Fighting Irish and one of the losses coming in the Big Ten championship game. The Buckeyes should be familiar with this Fighting Irish squad as they return 17 players from their Frozen Four roster.

The biggest struggle for the Buckeyes will be in scoring on Notre Dame’s star junior goaltender Cale Morris. As a sophomore, Morris led the nation in saves, shots faced and wins while only allowing 1.94 goals per game.

Offensively, Ohio State will have to deal with Fighting Irish senior defenseman Bobby Nardella, who has 11 points so far this season, tied for third-most in the nation. Additionally, junior forward Cal Burke is also top 10 in scoring with 10 points.

The Buckeyes game against Notre Dame will open their challenging Big Ten slate, which currently features 12 games against ranked opponents. This begins one of the toughest stretches of the season for Ohio State with two straight road series, and senior forward Brendon Kearney said the Buckeyes welcome the challenge.

“Oh, absolutely, you know, once you get to the tournament and even playoff time that’s what you want,” Kearney said. “Every night is going to be a battle and if you’re going through that November to March before the playoffs start, you’re ready for it as opposed to maybe a weekend that’s not as tough.”

Most of the issues that have plagued the Buckeyes so far this season have appeared early in the game. Though Ohio State has scored 16 goals this season, only three have been scored in the first period. In that same time, the Buckeyes have allowed seven goals in their net.

“I think for us, right now, it’s just not to get rattled too early,” junior defenseman Gordi Myer said. “I think maybe something goes wrong first shift or first five minutes, and we kind of get shook and it takes us almost a whole period to regroup, so I just think being an even keel and not getting too rattled and just playing our game.”

The puck drops for the Buckeyes on the road at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.