President Drake delivers his opening statement at the Board of Trustees meeting at the Longaberger Alumni House on Nov. 16. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

The Board of Trustees officially approved a raise for Ohio State University President Michael Drake on Friday and also awarded him a bonus.

Drake’s base salary, after a 2.5 percent raise, is now over $870,000 and the president took home $212,000 bonus, which is the maximum the Board can award him for meeting goals.

Of note in Drake’s review were the Board’s complimentary remarks of Drake’s commitment to affordable higher education at Ohio State.

Drake has overseen many initiatives during his time at Ohio State to reduce the cost of attendance including enacting free tuition for Pell Grant recipients and most recently cutting 70 percent of course fees.

Drake’s raise comes toward the end of a tumultuous year for Ohio State that included an investigation into former employee Richard Strauss for sexual abuse, the firing of wide receiver coach Zach Smith and the suspensions of athletic director Gene Smith and head football coach Urban Meyer.

The Board’s overall positive review did take note of struggles with leadership at the Wexner Medical Center, but also cited Drake’s success in recruiting top research talent and the financial success of the medical center.