Representative Pat Tiberi delivers remarks at Dynalab, Inc. in Reynoldsburg on April 1, 2017. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Former Photo Editor

Ohio State announced on Monday that former Congressman Pat Tiberi had been selected as the Autumn 2018 commencement speaker.

“I am honored to welcome former Congressman Pat Tiberi to speak at Ohio State’s autumn commencement ceremony,” President Michael Drake said in a press release. “As a distinguished public servant and Buckeye alumnus, he will offer an engaging and inspiring message to our graduates as they embark on the next exciting phase of their lives.”

Tiberi served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 17 years representing Ohio’s 12th District, which covers parts of Delaware, Franklin and Licking counties, before announcing his retirement earlier this year.

Tiberi graduated from Ohio State in 1985, was a member of the Ohio State marching band and was awarded the Excellence in Public Service Award from the John Glenn College of Public Affairs in 2015 for his legislative efforts as a public servant.

Tiberi has also donated his Congressional papers to Ohio State, which will become part of the Ohio Congressional Archives and be available to students, faculty and the general public beginning in 2023.

Autumn commencement will take place on Sunday, December 16 at the Schottenstein Center and all attendees are required to have a ticket for admission. Tickets must be ordered by graduates by 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 30.