Senior goalkeeper Sean Romeo (30) makes a save during the first period of Ohio State’s game against UMass on Oct. 19. Ohio State lost 6-3. Credit: Nick Roll | For The Lantern

The goaltending of redshirt senior goaltender Sean Romeo led the No. 7 Ohio State men’s hockey team to a 1-0 victory on the road against No. 5 Notre Dame.

Ohio State (4-2-1) was looking to turn its season around after a shaky start, including a series tie with UMass and a blowout at the hands of Bowling Green, and everything clicked for the Buckeyes on the road against Notre Dame (3-3-1).

The Buckeyes came out hot against Notre Dame, registering eight shots in the first period before scoring the first and only goal of the game.

The first period score came with just under nine minutes into the game off a power play goal by senior forward Mason Jobst. He was assisted on his fourth goal of the year by redshirt junior defenseman Wyatt Ege and freshman forward Gustaf Westlund, who each notched their third points of the season.

Freshman forward Quinn Preston, still awaiting his first point for the Buckeyes, turned in a good performance on the second line with junior forward Tanner Laczynski out for Friday night’s game. Preston had two shots on goal and was often there to confront Notre Dame when it had control of the puck.

Romeo had a challenging season leading up to the Big Ten opener, allowing 11 goals on 60 shots faced in the three games he appeared in. Friday night, however, he showed signs of returning to form against one of the best teams in the nation.

He didn’t allow a single goal on the 23 shots sent his way by the Fighting Irish, good for his third career shutout. Notre Dame pressured Ohio State on defense, imposing itself in the Buckeyes’ territory, but Romeo responded to the challenge and turned in his best performance of the season.

Ohio State had positive developments on its special teams, which so far this season had been a struggle on both ends of the power play. The Buckeyes converted on one of their three power plays and killed Notre Dame’s only opportunity of the night.

The Buckeyes showed improvement in discipline, only earning two penalties all night after previously earning 34 penalties in their first six games.

The Buckeyes will return to Compton Family Ice Arena to face Notre Dame at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.