Ohio State redshirt junior forward Makayla Waterman (24) looks to pass to a teammate in the fourth quarter of the Buckeyes’ semifinal game against Rutgers on March 2 at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Ohio State beat Rutgers 82-57. Credit: Alyssia Graves | Assistant Sports Director

The Ohio State women’s basketball team lost Sunday against No. 2 UConn in Storrs, Connecticut 82-53.

The Huskies got out to a strong start with two steals and an early 9-3 lead over the Buckeyes, including a steal and two baskets from sophomore forward Megan Walker, who finished with 15 points and two steals on the day.

The Buckeyes never really overcame UConn’s hot start, going ahead of Ohio State 30-12 at the end of the first quarter.

Ohio State’s Carly Santoro continued her hot shooting ealy in the season leading the Buckeyes with 20 points on 6-9 field goals including 3-5 from the three point line.

The Huskies had four players go into double-digits including All-American senior guard/forward Katie Lou Samuelson (19), junior guard Crystal Dangerfield (18), senior forward Napheesa Collier (17) and Walker (15).

The Buckeyes turned the ball over 21 times, including 11 steals by the Huskies, and were down by 30 points at halftime.

While Ohio State was down in virtually every category, they did manage to out rebound the Huskies 40-34 and outscored the Huskies 22-19 in the third quarter.

Ohio State senior forward Makayla Waterman recorded her first career double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds on the day.

Ohio State will next face off against Sacramento State on Friday, November 16.