Ohio State redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins (7) walks up to the field prior to the the start of the Ohio State-Penn State game on Sept. 29. Ohio State won 27-26. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

In his first season as a starter for Ohio State, redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins cemented his legacy as one of the best quarterbacks the program has ever had.

And after just one season as starter, Haskins’ time as a Buckeye is officially finished.

On Monday, Haskins announced on Twitter he would forgo his final two seasons of eligibility to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

In the days before the Rose Bowl, then-offensive coordinator Ryan Day said he did believe Haskins was ready to make that jump to the professional level.

“You reflect on the whole season, where it’s at, how far he’s come. I do think that he has a chance to be really successful in the NFL,” Day said. “When you look at what he’s done this season, it’s been very, very impressive.”

In 14 games as a starter, Haskins threw for 4,831 yards and 50 touchdowns, both Big Ten records for a single season.

The redshirt sophomore broke the single-game passing yards record for Ohio State, throwing for 470 yards against Purdue, then topping his own record with 499 against Northwestern.

The record-breaking numbers were enough for Haskins to get invited as a Heisman Trophy finalist, where he ultimately finished third.

In his final game for Ohio State, the Rose Bowl matchup against Washington, Haskins completed 25-of-37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns

Haskins said on Dec. 29 he has “to make a decision faster,” after being asked if he was tired of everyone asking. It took the redshirt sophomore quarterback six days following the Rose Bowl to ultimately make his decision.

“Just excited to be in the position to make a decision,” Haskins said. “A lot of people dream about playing in the NFL and people don’t really get to achieve that, so I’m one of the few people that get to, so I’m just taking it all in.”

As Haskins now prepares for the NFL as what many believe is the top quarterback on the board, Ohio State has redshirt freshman Tate Martell, freshman Matthew Baldwin and junior Chris Chugunov as the remaining quarterbacks on the roster.

The Buckeyes gained freshman quarterback Justin Fields, a former five-star prospect, who announced he would be transferring from Georgia following this season.

Martell, who would have been the projected starter this season before Fields’ transfer, said on Dec. 30 he is not worried about a quarterback who is not yet on the roster.

“Why would I leave for someone who hasn’t put a single second into this program?” Martell said. “To just run away from somebody who hasn’t put a single second into workouts, anything like that and doesn’t know what the program is all about, there’s not a chance.”

Haskins leaves Ohio State with a 13-1 career starting record, and 5,396 total passing yards and 54 total passing touchdowns.