Head coach in-waiting Ryan Day speaks during the Ohio State offensive availability at the Residence Inn LA Live on Dec. 29. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Ryan Day proved his ability to take over the recruiting for Urban Meyer in the past week, signing 15 players and ending with the No. 3 average rank of recruit in the NCAA.

Of these players, Day proved to have an impact on the defensive side of the ball, signing the No. 4 prospect in the country, defensive end Zach Harrison, who had previously been linked to land at either Michigan or Penn State.

But on Friday, Day proved where his speciality has always been: at quarterback.

According to reports released Friday, former Georgia quarterback Justin Fields  will be transferring to Ohio State.

Fields will be the highest-rated prospect to ever play for Ohio State, according to 247Sports composite rankings, which started rating prospects in 1999.

Ohio State has not yet confirmed the Fields transfer.

At Georgia, Fields completed 27-of-39 passes for 328 yards and four touchdowns, while rushing for 266 yards and four touchdowns. Fields found time in 12 of the Bulldogs’ 13 games, while sophomore Jake Fromm played the majority of the snaps at quarterback.

Fromm has another year at Georgia before being able to declare for the NFL Draft, while redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins has the ability to declare after this season.

In 2018, Fields was a five-star recruit and the No. 2 prospect in the country behind Clemson freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence. Fields was the No. 8 prospect of all-time in the 247Sports rankings.

The highest-rated prospect to play for the Buckeyes prior to Fields was Terrelle Pryor, who is No. 12 all-time and came from the 2008 class.

Fields would traditionally be forced to sit out a season due to NCAA transfer rules, but he is expected to petition to the NCAA for immediate eligibility at Ohio State.

Haskins has not yet decided whether he will forgo his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft. Redshirt freshman Tate Martell and freshman Matthew Baldwin were expected to compete for the starting quarterback job in the case of Haskins’ absence.